In the past, people could be poisoned from seemingly innocuous products. Lead was in sweetened wine, cosmetics, hair dye—and paint.
The famous Spanish artist Francisco Goya (1746–1828) suffered a mysterious illness with symptoms including partial paralysis, mood changes and blindness. Some researchers think lead poisoning was the cause, perhaps brought on by ingesting toxic dust when preparing his lead-based paints or by wetting his brushes with his tongue. Pictured is the painting “Saturn devouring one of his sons” by Goya, 1821-23, via Wikimedia.